Saturday, February 6, 2010

Soup

Today, I broke out the crock-pot (tv dinners get old after a while) and used the Better Homes and Gardens book "The Ultimate Slow Cooker book) to make Soy-Ginger Soup with Chicken:

1 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch pieces (I used chicken breast)
1 cup coarsely shredded carrots
2 tbsp dry sherry (I used sake)
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp grated fresh ginger (next time I would add 2 tsp-the flavor was pretty non-existant)
1/4 tsp black pepper
3 14 oz cans reduced sodium chicken broth
1 cup of water
2 oz dried somen (I used regular dried ramen noodles)
1 6 oz package frozen snow peas, thawed (I used celery)

In the slowcooker, combine the chicken, carrots, sherry, soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, pepper, broth and water. Cover and cook on high for 2 to 3 hours (I let it go for 2.5 hours). Stir in the noodles and snow peas (I added the celery in the first step). Cook for another 3 minutes. To serve, ladle soup into bowls and serve with additional soy.

I think if I make this again, I would add green onions as a garnish. It was good, and it's something that K2 will eat. It was quick and easy.


We have not heard from K1, so I'm going to take that to mean "no news is good news". J did call and he needs money. I guess none of the businesses where his vacation spot is take credit cards. They found one ATM but it must be a pain to get to, not to mention the cash limit on the government travel card must be low. There is another team leaving tomorrow so I went to the ATM and withdrew cash to give to one of those guys to take to him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...