Sunday, January 24, 2010

Apples

Today, we made various apple recipes. My friend sent me some Granny Smith Apples. They do not exist in Okinawa. I was very surprised that they made it through customs, but they did. She sent me two bags, and I have already used one.

First up was a recipe from Taste of Home's Guilt Free Cooking.

I made the Apple Cobbler. It did call for orange juice, but I substituted lemon. I'm still working on using up everything we have in the house before the move. This was good and got a happy face.


Next up, were individual pies. I purchased this pumpking at Christmas time from Williams-Sonoma. Yes, it is a pumpkin. They were out of the apple ones. I used the apple pie filling from "The Pioneer Woman Cooks" cookbook. It is from her Flat Apple Pie recipe.


Here they are coming out of the oven. As you can see, some were a little sad looking. I finally got the hang of it on the 4th one. This also got a smiley face.

And finally, I used the leftover dough I had and made the Flat Apple Pie recipe, except while she places it on a baking sheet, I just placed the dough in a pie pan and folded over the excess. Again, this was a hit.


No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...