Tuesday, January 12, 2010

More Ellie...

We went with three more recipes from Ellie Krieger's "The Food You Crave"

First up was the Blueberry Blast Smoothie.

You will need:

1/2 cup nonfat milk (I used 2%)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1 cup frozen unsweetened blueberries
1 tsp honey (I used 2 tsp)

Mix everything in a blender until smooth. This was good. I didn't think it was very sweet which is why I doubled the honey. I doubled the batch and froze the rest because J likes to eat it like ice cream.


Then we moved on to her Savory Chinese Chicken Salad

You will need 1/4 cup sliced toasted almonds

For the chicken you will need:

1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (I used regular)
1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts

Combine the soy and sesame oil and brush over the chicken on both sides. Bake until the juices run clear. If I make this again, I would just bake the chicken and omit adding the soy and oil. I don't think it really added anything.

For the salad you will need:
6 cups shredded napa cabbage
2 cups shredded red cabbage
**I used a combination of napa cabbage and hearts of romaine as that is what I had on hand
1 cup carrot, shredded
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
1 8 oz can drained water chesnuts
1 11 oz can drained mandarin oranges

Combine all the salad ingredients and add the cooked chicken

For the dressing:
1/3 cup rice vinegar
3 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce (I used regular)
2 tbsp firmly packed brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp Sriracha
1 1/2 tsp toasted sesame oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tsp peeled and minced fresh ginger

Combine all the dressing ingredients and pour over the salad. Toss to combine. Top with the toasted almonds. J said to give this one a smiley face in my scoring category. K#2 also thought this was great. K#1 didn't touch it.


Last up was Miso-Glazed Cod
You will need:
6 6oz black cod (I used swordfish)
1/3 cup low-sodium blond or white miso (I used what I had on hand-I can't read Japanese so I'm not sure what type of Miso it is, but it was the lightest color they had at Jusco-the Japanese grocery store)
1 tsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp mirin
Rinse the fish and pat dry, set aside. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl until the sugar is dissolved. Brush 2 tbsp of miso glaze on each piece of fish and let marinate in the refrigerator for at 30 minutes or up to an hour.

Preheat the broiler. Place the fish on a baking sheet and place under the broiler unitl the tops are slightly charred and the glaze has carmamelized. Remove the fish and brush with the remaining glaze. Reduce the oven to 375 degrees and cook until the fish is flaky but moist. This is another recipe that J said to give the smiley face to. I don't eat fish so I have to take his word for it that it was a hit.


And lastly, tonight the equal list for overseas mandatory movers comes out. It will be posted at about 10:00 pm our time . We are cannot access the site from our house (our internet provider recently upgraded and in the process several sites are no longer accessible at home) so we will go to J's office to see what our options are. As soon as I know, I will post them.




No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...