Saturday, January 9, 2010

Hummus....Take 2

Today, I cooked with Ellie Krieger
First up was Edamame "Hummus" with Spiced Pita Chips from "The Food You Crave"

You will need the following:
2 cups shelled edamame
1 cup silken tofu, drained
1/2 tsp salt
pinch of white pepper
1 1/2 tsp gound cumin
3 cloves garlic
1/4 cup olive oil
1/3 cup lemon juice
spiced pita chips**

Set aside a tbsp of edamame for a garnish. Place the remaining ingredients into the food processor and process until very smooth. Adjust seasonings if desired.



** for the pita chips you will need
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp of each of the following: ground coriander, garlic powder
1/2 tsp of each: cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt
6 whole-wheat pita breads, cut into 8 wedges each-I used white pita



Preheat oven to 375 degrees/ Combine the olive oil and spices. Add the pita and toss to coat (we used a brush to coat each piece) Bake until crisp.

I thought this would taste much better than traditional hummus made with garbanzo beans, but it didn't. I may just have to consider hummus as a lost cause. It was okay, but nothing I would ever make again.



Second, was Apple Brown Betty which came from book "So Easy"

This was really good; our problem is that we don't eat a lot of deserts, so I will probably end up freezing it in individual portions. I just had some apples that needed to be used before they went bad and thought this looked good. At Christmas, I bought 7 apples and they cost over $20. I thought I would make an apple pie, but never got around to it.

Hopefully, when we move back to the states in July, $20 apples are a thing of the past. We should have a better idea where we are headed next on Jan 12th.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...