Saturday, February 13, 2010

I cooked....

Lately, I have been cleaning out closets and cupboards trying to get rid of things we have but won't/don't ever use. The military has a thresh hold for your household goods weight that they will move. Ours is 13,500 lbs, but when we moved to Okinawa, you were only allowed to bring 2,500 lbs. The rest of our things went into storage, and the weight of that stuff is 10,500 lbs. So, I only have 3,000 lbs to work with. Logically this should be easy, but it's not. Pottery weighs a lot (I purchased quite a bit of Japanese pottery) and we have purchased several Asian style cabinets.


And what does that have to do with anything? Well, today, while cleaning out a cabinet, I found a small Cooks Illustrated book called "How to Make Pasta Sauces". So for dinner, I made Penne Arrabbiata ala Cooks Illustrated. I will be really glad to get the good camera back. This is a simple recipe, basically tomatoes, garlic and red pepper flakes, but it does get the happy smiley face of approval.








One of the things I will miss when we leave Okinawa is the 100 Yen store. All of the white dishes in my pictures were purchased there for only 100 Yen, which is roughly about $1.00.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...