Friday, February 19, 2010

More Soup...

Today, I made a Chicken-Tortilla soup ala Cooks Illustrated again. I can't find their original recipe, only my notes. This is so quick and easy and one of our favorite soups. I always freeze the leftovers.



You will need:
tortilla chips
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast(you could make your own, but it's not cost effective here to do so)
5 cans chicken broth
1 large onion
6 garlic cloves
8 sprigs fresh cilantro (I can't stand cilantro fresh-I'm in the camp that finds it tastes like soap, so I always use about 1/2 tsp of dried)
2 cans stewed tomatoes (I use the mexican kind)
4 chipotle chilis in adobo sauce (this will be very spicy, so you may want to decrease the amount)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp chipotle chili powder



For the soup, bring the chicken broth, chicken breast, half the onion, half the garlic and the cilantro to a boil. Cook for about half an hour or until the chicken is cooked through.



In a blender, puree the tomatoes, remaining garlic and onion, chipotles in adobo, cumin and chili powder until smooth.



Place the olive oil to a pan. Add the tomato mixture and cook over medium heat approximately 10 minutes.



Once the chicken breast is finished, shred it and add to the tomato mixture. I will then puree the onion and garlic that was cooked with the broth, but depending on whether you prefer this chunky, you could omit that step. Once done, add the chicken broth to the tomato base. Cook together on low heat for another 5-10 minutes.



Serve with crushed tortilla chips on the top. I also like to add a small amount of Parmesan cheese to the top.



The picture doesn't look all that appealing, but this soup is great.

On another note, we finally got a letter from K1 the other day. He has been able to call twice. He said the food was gross, but luckily for him, he will eat it anyway. As soon as J gets home, I will book a trip for us to attend his graduation in a few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...