Saturday, March 27, 2010

2 in 1 Day

Two posts today and two different recipes. Even with the unforeseen recent events in Buddy's house (i.e., J's "midlife" crisis), we are still in operation "clean-out the cabinets", so we may have some dinners with things that don't quite go together in the next few months.

First up was "Fresh Tomato Salsa" from the book "Salsa and Tacos The Santa Fe School of Cooking"

You will need:
4-5 plum tomatoes, chopped (I used regular tomatoes)
1/2 cup chopped red onion
1 tsp dried Mexican Oregano (I used regular oregano)
2 serrano chilies, finely chopped
1 tsp minced garlic (it says optional, but I used it)
3 tbsp coarsely chopped cilantro (there was none to be found in Okinawa today-I used dried)
2-3 tbsp fresh lime juice or cider vinegar (I used lime juice)
1 tbsp olive oil (I did not use this)
Salt to taste
Pinch of sugar (optional-I added it)



Put the tomatoes, onion, oregano, chilies, garlic and cilantro in a bowl and mix well. Add the lime juice or vinegar, olive oil, salt and sugar to taste. Let the mixture sit for 20 minutes to meld the flavor.

Verdict: this was okay; I think it was way too much lime juice because it was definitely overpowering. I added a little more salt to temper the lime.



We also had Fried Rice with Pork from the book "500 Chinese Recipes"

You will need:
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
1 tbsp chopped garlic
4 oz tender pork, cut into small cubes (I used leftover bbq country style pork ribs)
2 eggs, beaten
5 cups cooked rice
2 tbsp fish sauce (I used 1/2 tsp-this stuff is too overpowering for me if I use much more than that)
1 tbsp dark soy sauce (I used 2 tbsp)
1/2 tsp caster (superfine) sugar-I actually have some of this. I must not be a big seller over here, because the commissary had it on sale for .53 cents a 5 lb container at Christmas time

To serve:
4 spring onions finely sliced (I used one)
2 fresh red chilies, sliced (I used green)
1 lime, cut into wedges (I omitted this)




Heat the oil; add the onion and garlic and cook until softened. Add the pork to the mixture and cook until the pork is fully cooked. Tip in the beaten eggs and cook until scrambled into small lumps. Add the rice and continue to stir and toss to coat it with the oil to prevent sticking. Add the fish sauce, soy sauce and sugar and mix well. Cook until the rice is hot. Spoon into warmed bowls and serve with the spring onions, chilies and lime wedges.




We thought this was pretty good. At first we thought it was going to be quite bland, but that turned out to not be the case. It gets a smiley face :)

I think tomorrow I will try something from Tyler Florence. He will be in Okinawa on April 1 at 3 o'clock. I plan to leave work early to see him. I'm sure I'll have to buy one of his books, so I need to see which one(s) I don't have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...