Sunday, May 2, 2010


When it's a nice day outside, this is Buddy's favorite spot to "chill". He has "friends" at the house next door and the house behind us. They all like to sit and look at each other.

The shirts that I ordered to take with us to South Carolina finally arrived on Saturday. Well, this is the second order. I emailed the company and they resent what I originally ordered and told me to keep the original order if it ever shows up. That first order must still be on the slow boat to Japan, but the customer service from the company was good. I would order from again.

I used up a few things today by making "German Chocolate Cookies" from the book "No-Bake Cookies".

You will need:
1 cup milk chocolate chips (I used semi-sweet)
5 tbsp butter
16 large marshmallows (I had 17 in the bag, so used them all-the good thing, they are now gone)
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups quick cooking oats, uncooked
1 cup sweetened flake coconut
1/2 cup toffee baking bits
1/2 cup chopped pecans

-Line cookie sheets with wax paper (I used parchment paper)

-In a large saucepan, melt the chocolate chips with the butter and marshmallows over low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Stir in the vanilla, oats, coconut, toffee bits and pecans.

-Working quickly, drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto wax-paper-lined sheets. Cover and refrigerate 2-3 hours. Let stand at room temperature about 15 minutes before serving.

These were good. They taste almost like Almond-Joys. If I ever make them again, I would go ahead and substitute the pecans for almonds, just because I think that would make them better. J liked them and he's not much of a chocolate eater, so they worked out well.

We're making slow but steady progress in the kitchen. We've never had this problem before getting rid of stuff, but that's because I always had a kid that would eat anything not nailed down. Now that he no longer lives here, it's going to take us 2 months just to use up what we have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galveston Day 2

We headed out this morning around 8 so we could buy tickets on the first duck tour.     Our next stop was lunch since it was about 11.    Af...