Monday, March 11, 2013

New Thing----Auction Shopping

For the past two Saturday's, J and I have gone to an auction.  The first time we went, it started at 5:10 pm.  The auctioneer said she hoped to be done by midnight.  There was quite a few people, with J and I being the youngest ones there.  Because we didn't know what to expect, we did a lot of people watching.  I did bid on one lot, which was some Nabisco soup bowls, but I didn't end up winning.  By the time I bid, we had been sitting there for at least 3 hours and wanted to get something to at least make the trip worth our while.
 
I had to be covert, but I was able to snap a few pictures with my phone:
 

 
J and I decided to give it up around 9.  This auction also allowed online bidders.  We were trying to last until a lot of filing cabinets came up (J wanted them for storage in his garage), but we were so tired of sitting on the uncomfortable seats, (and J was starving) we decided to just go ahead and leave.  He stopped to get something to eat on the way home and I ended up creating an online account and bid on the cabinets he wanted.  I ending up getting two for $15 a piece........I was the only bidder.  I also bid on a set of 19 ice cream dishes and won them for $12.50.   These are a mixture of these:


Once again, we headed out last Saturday to hit the Estate Sale.  We found a whole lot of nothing, but I did pick up this loaf pan for a couple dollars.  I came home, cleaned it up and made some zucchini bread in it:


The loaf popped right out of the Corningware:


We went to a different location for last Saturday's auction.  I was not able to take any covert pictures because it was standing room only.  We were bound and determined not to leave empty handed.  J ended up bidding on a Chalkstone Indian Chief, but the bidding went over his limit.  He also wanted a set of bookends, but again, the bid went over his set limit. 

The Pyrex that I was looking at came up, and both lots went over my limit, but when I stopped bidding, J told me to keep going.  I think we were both frustrated that things went so high, that something was coming home with us.  I ended up spending $5 over my set limit for the items below.


 
 
Aside from the bowls, I was trying to buy a Fostoria Square Glass Plate.  It ended up selling for $75 which I thought was ridiculous.  I have seen them quite a bit at Estate Sales for $30, which I thought was high at the time.  However, when we got home, I looked on eBay to see what they sell for on there, and it seems $75 is a steal.  I guess the next time I see one cheaper at an Estate Sale, I'll be picking it up.

I imagine there will be a lot more auctions in our future.  J was on the Internet all day Sunday looking at auctions, so I assume it will now be part of our Saturday routine.  Although, this week, the only one in the area is on Friday, and going to it will depend on what time J gets home from work.   

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...