Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Seattle Days 2, 3 and 4

Last week J and I went to Seattle.  I went for a work conference and he tagged along.  We left bright and early Saturday morning and arrived at our hotel at 2:00, only to find the room was not going to be ready until 4 pm.  Since we had a rental car, we just drove around the area.  Once the room was ready, we checked in and then decided to walk to a Chinese dim sum restaurant for dinner.  It was only okay, nothing like the place we went to in Los Angeles.  After dinner we walked around a bit then headed back to the hotel.  I never realized Seattle was so hilly.  The trek back to the hotel (about 5 blocks) was all up hill and not something I wanted to repeat.
We were up bright and early Sunday morning.  We decided to try out restaurants that had been featured on the Food Network.  First up was Beth's café.
It was typical diner food; the restaurant wasn't all that clean and Seattle definitely has people that look "different", i.e. tattoos and piercings, which is what most of the waitresses looked like here. 
I had the biscuits and gravy and J had a breakfast burrito.  If we were to ever go there again, I would definitely pass on getting this again.
After breakfast, we decided to take a "Ride the Ducks" tour around the city.  It also takes you into the water.  It was an overcast day, but luckily it didn't rain while we were on our tour.

Across the street from the duck tour place, was the EMP Museum.  It showcased Seattle music artists like Nirvana and Jimi Hendrix along with a horror and sci-fi exhibit.  It was very hard to get a good picture of the outside of the building.
Inside, there was a big display of guitars.


The museum is also right next to the Space Needle.  We had bought city passes that allowed us to get into several sites in Seattle and the Needle was one of them.  Here are some views from the top:

After the needle, we took a Harbor Cruise (this was also part of the city pass);  and from the tour, we walked to Pike's Place, which was ridiculously crowded, which I assume was because it was a holiday weekend.  I did get a picture of the fish place, but they weren't throwing any on the day we were there. 
Our next stop for the day was the Seattle Aquarium, which was crowded and small with not a lot to see.  It was also part of the city pass book.  Had we paid full price, I would be disappointed.  It was really not worth the money at all, and hence no pictures.
The last place on our agenda for the day was dinner.  We went to The Crab Pot.  We got one of the pots for 2 and shared. 

The before:
And after:

After dinner, we headed back to the hotel.
On Monday, we were again up bright and early.  We decided to take the Ferry to Bainbridge Island.   Here are some views from our ride: 


 We had breakfast at the Streamliner Diner:

After breakfast we were going to drive around the island, but when J went to pay, he couldn't find his credit card.  After looking everywhere, we realized it was lost, so we decided to leave the island and see if they had found it at the last place he used it.  Because I still had my card, we found an ATM and took out some money in the event we had to call and report his card lost.  I also took money out of my bank account that I never keep funds in, it just so happened that I hadn't had the chance to move money out of my checking yet.  We did a quick drive to see the scenery and then headed back to the ferry.  Once the ferry returned, his card was no where to be found and I called the credit card company to cancel. 
After dealing with that, we decided to go to the Boeing Museum (another coupon in the city pass).  I didn't take any pictures while there.  We started our trek back to the city for dinner.  We ended back at the Crab Pot and then to the hotel for the night.
Tuesday morning we headed out to see Mt. Rainier.  It was about an 1 1/5 hour drive, but we made pit stops along the way at classic car dealers. I don't know what J was looking for, but he didn't find it.
Here are some views from the mountain:

I forgot to mention breakfast.  We went to The 5 Point Cafe.  For some reason my pictures will not upload, but it ended up being a bar with a restaurant.  Not a place I would go again; there were people already at the bar drinking and it was only about 9 am.  Not too mention the food wasn't that great. 
We also stopped at a Farmer's Market and picked up some local jellies and honey.
The conference started on Wednesday, so J left bright and early to come home.
Buddy went to K1s house and like hanging with his new BFF:
He has since been to the beauty salon and had a shampoo and shave, so he looks like a totally new dog. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galveston Day 2

We headed out this morning around 8 so we could buy tickets on the first duck tour.     Our next stop was lunch since it was about 11.    Af...