Sunday, March 7, 2010

Trying Chicken Again

This is what our computer desk looks like (note: this is not our desk, it is government loaner furniture because we couldn't bring all of our household goods with us to Okinawa). As you can see, Buddy parks himself in this spot each time someone sits in the chair.


I tried another chicken dish today. Right now, I'm trying to use up the last of the things in our cupboards and make things that K2 will eat. This one ranked right up there with the last chicken dish I made.

This recipe came from Pillsbury's Best Ever Chicken - July 2009 booklet. It is Chili-glazed Chicken.

You will need:
3 tbsp chili sauce
3 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp finely chopped garlic
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
8 bone-in skin-on chicken thighs (I used 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts)
1/4 tsp each salt and pepper




In a small bowl, mix chili sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil garlic and red pepper. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. The chicken should be cooked on a grill, however, I used my trusty Lodge two burner stove top grill pan.



Cook the chicken on one side about 8 minutes (this is the amount of time if you were using the bone-in thighs, obviously if you use boneless breasts, it will be shorter). Turn, and then brush with the chili sauce mixture. Continue turning and brushing the chicken with sauce until the juice of the chicken is clear.

I don't know where this went wrong, but I think it may be the soy. It was pretty salty and I find that the soy we buy in the Japanese grocery store is definitely stronger than the stuff they sell in American stores.

At any rate, I didn't care for this, but Buddy did. After I took the picture of the finished product, I promptly added a little bit of bbq sauce to try and mask the chili sauce taste.





No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...