Sunday, April 4, 2010

Applescotch Crisp

It was more cleaning out the cabinets today, so I went with a dessert from the "Best of the Pillsbury Bake-Off Cookbook". I decided on Applescotch Crisp. It was from the Bake-off contest 22, 1971 and submitted by Frank Donelson from Bloomington, IL.

You will need:
Topping:
2/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (I used almonds)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 box (4 serving size) butterscotch or vanilla pudding and pie filling mix-not instant (instant was all I had so I went with it)
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted

Fruit Mixture:
4 cups sliced peeled cooking apples (I used one red and 4 granny smith-left over from the ones that were sent to me)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 tbsp all-purpose flour
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup water




Heat oven to 350 degrees F. In medium bowl, mix all topping ingredients until crumbly, set aside. In large bowl, mix all fruit mixture ingredients. Pour into ungreased 9 inch square pan. Sprinkle topping over fruit mixture. Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until apples are tender and topping is golden brown.

This is before going into the oven:


.
And the finished product:



This was pretty good, but I'm not sure I would ever make it again because I don't usually keep things like pudding on hand. In fact, I can't even remember when or why I bought the package I did have.

I'm starting to knock quite a few books of my list. I've even been able to put some in the donate pile because they don't seem to have anything in them that appeals to us. It's a good thing since books tend to weigh a lot and I'm sure our household goods will be overweight again, just like they were when we left Germany.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...