Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Stein Pictures

These are some close-up pictures of J's beer steins. It is also a clutter-central area, but he won't let anything go and it's nice being able to just put everything in the office.




The stein on the far right has a piece of the Berlin Wall on the lid and the middle one is from Poland.


This shelf is mostly of coffee cups. When we were in Germany and went to a Christmas festival, you could either get wine (warmed up, it was called gluwein) or cocoa. We opted for the cocoa and gave it to the kids. The white stein on the top shelf on the left is from Pisa. The cup does lean (you just can't tell in the picture).


This shelf is just a mish-mash of stuff. At about 95% of the military functions that J attends, there is always a wine glass with a logo detailing the event. Of course, we must keep these. I've just always shoved them in the back of a cabinet, but now that I don't really have to look at this stuff, I put it out for him to look at. The tan plate on the top shelf is a souvenir that he brought me back from Ecuador. It's been relegated to the office as well.



Here is his "collection" of crystal cars that we bought in Germany (again, relegated to the office).



More steins. Most of his steins came from Volksmarch's when we lived in Germany. At the time, you would pay 7 deutsche marks, then walk 10 kilometers (about 6 miles) and then at the end, you would get your "prize" which was typically a stein. They would also have food. It was a good way to wear K1 out.

The eagles in the next shot are for awards that both J and I have one. The biggest one is his though, which he likes to point out, but I have 3 to his 2.


And finally, I did cook for the past two days. Nothing spectacular, just some soup recipes for the Taste of Home Heartwarming Soups magazine.
The first was a Hearty Hamburger Soup. I made a lot of changes, but in the end it was okay. I only picked it though because it called for V-8 and I had mistakenly bought low sodium V-8 which is pretty gross, so a soup was a good way to use it up.


And then I made the Comforting Chicken Noodle soup which was quite typical. Nothing that really requires a recipe, but I like to think I got some use out of my magazine purchase.



Both K1 and J should be here next week. J will fly to VA to see Kyle graduate from his school and then they will both fly into Killeen Texas. K1 doesn't listen to me, so I don't know what I'm talking about when I tell him he should fly into Shreveport. He got some bad information from the Army finance people; never mind that I work in finance and understand federal travel regulations, but because I'm the mom, I must not know what I'm talking about, or the regulations must only apply to Air Force and not Army members (lets forget the fact that the regulation is not service specific but applies to all service members). So, by having J fly with him into Killeen, he will be able to rent a car one-way and drop it off when he gets here. It's better than me and K2 driving 5 hours one-way to pick them up and then drive home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...