Sunday, October 10, 2010

New Toy

This is the new toy that J bought on this visit to LA:




It was quite a fiasco trying to get it home. We knew it wouldn't fit in my car, but figured we could take it out of the box and get the pieces to fit in the trunk of mine and K2's car. They fooled us; we expected the top and bottom to be separate pieces, not so. It was all one piece. So we had to have K1 and K2 go back into Home Depot to buy a screwdriver and crescent wrench so that J could disassemble the piece. Once they got the tools, it took about 20 minutes to get it taken apart so that we could be on our way.

Our first test drive of it was to smoke a turkey breast. It turned out good.


.
Today we used it to make some grilled pork chops with a marinade recipe out of Best of the Best recipe book. Unfortunately, they turned out pretty bad. I knew the recipe was off when it called for a cup and a half of soy sauce, but I decided to go with what was written anyhow, that was a big mistake. The looked good though. In the end, I ended up tossing them. I figured they were too salty to even give to the dog.
.
.
We used our handy dandy marinating tool for the food saver. I actually just bought this, it was on sale for $5, so I figured even if it didn't work, I could use it for storage.
.
.
We also found this sausage at the grocery store yesterday. It pretty much just tasted like pork, although I don't know what alligator tastes like, so maybe alligator tastes like pork? Anyhow, I won't be buying it again anytime soon.
.
.

Tomorrow I take J to the airport to go back to NM. I don't have to go back to work until Wednesday, so I'm not sure what the kids and I will do when he leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...