Sunday, October 21, 2012

No shopping this weekend


 
Because I was in Minot, North Dakota last week for work, K2 and I didn't get a chance to hit any estate sales yesterday.  She wanted to go this morning, but they typically only run through Saturday so there weren't any still going on.
 
We did make it out last Saturday.  We've seen this guy two weekends in a row now (love his goggles):
 


We hit around 5 sales and took J with us.  He'll probably stay home from now on.  The majority of the houses belonged to elderly woman and didn't have any tool items that interested him.

I picked up these items to add to my "collection".  I paid $6 total:


Last Sunday, we used the smoker and made a brisket using the dry rub recipe from "Dadgum, That's Good, Too!".  It left us unimpressed.


We also tried the "Smoked Pimento Cheese" appetizer recipe from the same book.  Again, unimpressed. 

This morning for breakfast, I made the "Breakfast Bread Pudding" recipe from "The Pioneer Woman Cooks-Food From My Frontier".  I wasn't sure how it would turn out, because I haven't had the best of luck with her recipes, but this worked.

 
Today will be spent recuperating from the Minot trip.  When we left North Dakota yesterday morning, it was 38 degrees.  During our last leg, the pilot told us it was 86 in Louisiana.  Quite a temperature difference.  All I can say is I'm glad J was never stationed there.  It's a very small town, very rural and the winters would be much harsher that I would want to deal with.  J's comment was that it shouldn't be too much of a culture change because I'm from "rural" and "winter", but this place definitely beats small town MI.

No comments:

Post a Comment

More harvests from this summer.

The bottom two pictures are recent.  We are trying succession planting this year with beans, cucumbers and squash.   The squash is a failur...